What time is the right time to move your loved one from their home using Home Care into a new home in a senior living community? Sometimes, it’s hard to know. Let’s look at the differences between care at home and senior living in one of our Ebenezer-managed Pillars Senior Living communities.
Care at Home
Many people whose loved ones need a bit of assistance to live independently in their own homes choose an option called Home Care. Home Care is a great option for older adults that may need a little bit of assistance to live independently but there is a point where it may not be the best option. Check out our Assisted Living Checklist that helps people weigh weather staying at home is no longer the best option.
You may also want to consider the following:
- Although home care may be cheaper on the surface, the home may need fitting with ramps, railings and chairlifts, which can become costly and difficult to coordinate.
- Many home care agencies change from week to week and this can be unsettling for older people as well as their families. If home care is opted for, make sure all financial options are discussed and that everyone is happy to proceed.
- Consistency and reliable staffing is often an issue with Home Care as well as training. Being part of Fairview and Ebenezer, allows our senior living communities with top-notch processes, protocols, back-up plans, expert-training and trusted care.
- Some older people may not trust external support. This can make them feel vulnerable and alone. It is important to talk to older parents about their worries, and also consider if the care is right for them.
- For older people who enjoy socializing or being around people, which is not offered by home care, you may want to consider a senior living community.
Senior Living and Care Options
When it’s time to make the move from your loved one’s home to a new home at one of our Pillars Senior Living communities, we offer many options for senior living. For those new to the process, it’s useful to know the differences between the living options and levels of care we offer.
- Independent Living. This is living in an apartment building that has been designed with the needs of seniors in mind. It’s about creating a lifestyle of convenience and maintenance-free living, along with socializing among neighbors, abundant amenities and turn-key living. One great advantage of the Independent Living option in a building is the ability to contract services that allow you or your loved one to “age in place” without the need to move if your needs for care increase.
- Assisted Living. If your loved ones need a bit of assistance managing daily activities like dressing, cooking, cleaning, meds, and bathing, but are otherwise safe to live on their own, assisted living apartments are a great solution. Assisted Living communities provide more services than independent living communities, and there are staff on duty 24 hours a day.
- Memory Care. Ebenezer is Minnesota’s expert in memory care. We’re your trusted resource for personal services in your home or in one of our beautiful memory care communities. We provide housing and resources for people living with memory loss, and our compassionate care is the industry leader.
Ebenezer is Minnesota’s leading senior living operator and has provided services and care to older adults for over 100 years. The care, programs and culture of our Pillars Senior Living communities are guided by Ebenezer missions, values and signature Cornerstones. These Cornerstones that set us apart from other communities are our Faith Foundations, Life Long Learning, Person-Centered Care, Dimensions Memory Care, Crafted Culinary, and Intergenerational Connections.
Upgrade in Lifestyle
When you live at a Pillars Senior Living community, you are a community member. You do not simply reside in a building that we manage, you are an integral part of the community. You belong to groups within our community, you help shape the culture and lifestyle we offer.
It’s maintenance-free living, the spiritual services, the full calendar of events and activities, learning and growth opportunities, having a concierge at your services and so much more.
Most people cannot afford 24/7 live-in home care, so what often happens is, caregivers come to the home, provide the care and leave. This takes care of the seniors’ physical needs, but their emotional, mental and social needs are left unmet. We believe living in a community is the better option. Move into senior living helps keep you as independent as you’re able with continuing care options as you age and your abilities change.
Our Person-Centered Care Cornerstone at Ebenezer is the coordination of personalized care throughout the continuum of integrated services. We serve our residents and their loves with genuine care, compassion, integrity, dignity, and love them like family.
As a leader in the senior care industry, Ebenezer’s reputation of top-notch care is due in part to the detailed processes and customized plans that we create for our residents. Each resident that moves into our housing with services receives a resident centered plan of care that lists in detail what cares and support they need along with the time and frequencies of those needs. We also incorporate considerations of special preferences that person may have.
Helping your loved one decide on a senior living community can be a difficult decision. You want to trust that you made the right decision not just your parents, but that meets your busy lifestyle as well. Ebenezer has over 100 years of experience in the senior living industry and has been able to make a strategic partnership with Fairview Health System to further our expertise and ability to meet the diverse needs of our residents and families. Our Fairview relationship enables our communities to offer the best health resources, support, and care for the seniors we serve, including:
- Onsite Visiting Nurse Practitioners and Physicians
- In-home lab and x-ray services
- Automatic refill and delivery of pharmaceutical services
- Medicare certified therapy teams that provide in-home Skilled Nursing needs, as well as Physical, Occupational, and Speech therapy
- Palliative and Hospice care
In all our communities, what sets us apart is our staff. We employ caring, experienced people who go out of their way to make residents feel like family.
To learn more about which Pillars Senior Living option is right for your loved ones, please click here to locate a community nearest to you and contact them today.